Home    News    Articles    Gallery    Forum    Videos    Gnoblogs    Bellower    Podcasts    Downloads    Links    About

Author Topic: 2400 tournament list  (Read 451 times)

bennyboy6189

2400 tournament list
« on: Jun 02, 2013, 05:16:47 PM »
Hi im totally new to ogres and im planning on going to some tournaments with them, i had a break from warhammer and wanna get back into it, so heres my list, Need all the help and advise i can get as ive only played against ogres. thanks.

Slaughtermaster, lvl 4(Great maw) - 385
Fencer blades, Talisman of preservation, Potion of strength

Bruiser (BSB) - 180
Armour of destiny

Butcher lvl 2 (Beast) - 160
Dispel scroll

8 Bulls - 276
Bellower+Standard, Ironfists

8 Bulls - 276
Bellower+Standard, Ironfists

8 Ironguts -379
Bellower+standard of discipline

3 Mournfang - 230
Ironfists, Heavy armour, Bellower+standard

3 Mournfang - 280
Ironfists, Heavy armour, Bellower+Dragonhide Banner

Sabretusk -21
Sabretusk -21
Sabretusk -21

Ironblaster - 170

sgreg308

Re: 2400 tournament list
« Reply #1 on: Jun 03, 2013, 07:22:18 AM »
Looks pretty solid to me. You've got a nice solid battle line with decent buffs all across the board and plenty of hard hitting units. Its a fairly cookie cutteresque list but it will likely be very effective for tournament play

mcsheehy

« Reply #2 on: Jun 03, 2013, 08:29:46 AM »
List looks pretty solid! :)
Remember keep your combat blocks "close-ish" so they will benefit from bubble guts and BsB! :)

Also, I would drop potion of strength on your SM and maybe throw a champion in the units with the characters, means they don't "need" to accept challenges! :)

Other than that your pretty solid! I tend to run 2 bigger core units, but each to their own! :)

Chris
(8th Edition Rules)
W |L|D
32|3|3

Ogre Kingdoms Tactica - http://www.ogrestronghold.com/forum/index.php?topic=26888.msg354181#msg354181

bennyboy6189

« Reply #3 on: Jun 03, 2013, 08:50:13 AM »
Thanks for the replys what size and formation is best to run the ogres in 3x3 with 1 character in each or 4x2? Or should i combine the units into 2 as you said?

Also is it worth swapping the butcher for a firebelly as i really like the idea of his breath attack?
1 more thing  :D I see alot of lists with maneaters and im kinda wondering if there essential for tournament play?

mcsheehy

« Reply #4 on: Jun 04, 2013, 08:18:37 AM »
All very good questions :) :P

As for the Butcher, you are character heavy and Curse from the Beasts lore will mess with any cav army!
The firebelly is useful, but generally in lower point games where his breath weapon will eat up entire units ;)... or against elves ;) :P

Man Eaters are more versatile than MFC, but I prefer the MFC for the psychological threat over "Just a unit of tough ogres", the MFC will have your opponent re-think his deployments and play style on the go, trying to chaff them and keep them away from his core.

As for your Core, I tend to run 1 block of Ogres and 1 of Ironguts (smaller, about 8 strong like yours).
I would throw the bulls together with the SM and Bruiser, I would also try and fit a Crown of Command onto your SM in place of Fencers :) If you need to you can challenge with your Bruiser, but the Stubborn will mean even a bad fight and you will be re-rolling on Ld8!

Then I would stick the Butcher with the IG's and go 3x3. If you stick a champion in the IG's then you can cast the likes of Panns and Horros on him from beasts giving him 6S9 attacks lol or T7...

The IG's will be used to clear tougher units and the Ogres will be your anvil! your MFC will aid your IG's, if you get a counter charge with those then that unit WILL die ;) :)

You should take a wee look here - Tactica

Chris
(8th Edition Rules)
W |L|D
32|3|3

Ogre Kingdoms Tactica - http://www.ogrestronghold.com/forum/index.php?topic=26888.msg354181#msg354181

bennyboy6189

« Reply #5 on: Jun 06, 2013, 10:33:55 AM »
Slaughtermaster, lvl 4(Great maw) - 385
Fencer blades, Talisman of preservation, Potion of strength

Bruiser (BSB) - 180
Armour of destiny

Firebelly  -145
Dispel scroll

9 Ironguts - fc, standard of discipline - 432
12 Bulls - fc, ironfists - 414

4 Mournfang - ironfists, heavy armour, FC, dragonhide banner - 360

1 sabretusk - 21
1 sabretusk - 21
1 sabretusk - 21

Stonehorn -250
Ironblaster -170

revised my list a little but wondered if the stonehorns a good idea or not as i like the model thanks.

mcsheehy

« Reply #6 on: Jun 06, 2013, 12:44:32 PM »
The Stonehorn "Can" be useful :) It will devastate things with a flank charge! However the model is a large target and most decent players wont allow it to hit a flank.

Personally I have had some good games with them, but for all out point for power another Ironblaster would suit you better. If you want a more "fun" approach then the Stonehorn works, although I would also recommend the Thundertusk as that ASL aura can be very usefull with a large unit of bulls! :)

Chris
(8th Edition Rules)
W |L|D
32|3|3

sgreg308

« Reply #7 on: Jun 08, 2013, 08:38:20 AM »
I personally like your initial list better. To me it feels alot more fluid, capable and versatile. If you could fit a stonehorn or a thundertusk in the first list without diminishing unit sizes too much that would be great. I personally have collected more points with a stonehorn than I have dual iron blasters and that's because I run as many units on the table as I can without sacrificing unit strength if possible. Doing that makes denying stonehorn charges on flanks very difficult for any opponent and really you don't need flank charges with him or really charges at all. I find him to be very devastating no matter what the case is. I rarely even get to use his thunderstomp because enemy units are typically destroyed by him in the first round of combat especially with a hunter riding him. That's regardless of what the unit is made of. If they dont get destroyed then they have always fled and then been destroyed. Also he's useful for soaking up shooting attacks if you throw a regen on him and he's terribly difficult to wound. Run him alongside of a thundertusk for real pain or MFC with dhb. You can also use him to provide hard cover to units making him a mobile wall that fights, pretty cool imo.

Top of Page RSS Feed Twitter Facebook YouTube PayPal Donate
© 2004-2011 The Ogre Stronghold | RSS | Twitter | Facebook | Donations | Legal Stuff | Contact
This website is completely unofficial and in no way endorsed by Games Workshop Ltd.