I was hoping this would rear it's head again!
Having looked back on my resolutions for last year, I have to say I failed at most of them. As a reminder, and for mocking purposes, I'll go through them below:
1) Paint an army that isn't for use in a tournament. - FAIL.
I hardly did any painting at all for most of last year, and when I did it was to add to my Ogre army for an event. I really need to get back into the painting side of the hobby, but I have a few ideas in mind in order to achieve this.2) Improve my gaming - measured by at least 3 top half finishes in tournaments this year. - PASS.
Winter Incursion helped me out a lot for this one, but all my good results came in smaller events. Looking at Rankings HQ I have the following:
7th/28 at Open War 15
8th/18 at The Dragon Slayers Big Bash 3
9th/46 at Milton Keynes Massacre 2011
34th/108 at Winter Incursion
Not bad, but I need to do better in the first few rounds of the bigger events.3) Learn a non Games Workshop game, to the extent of playing at an event for that game. - FAIL.
But only due to the second part of that Resolution. I have bought into Warmachine, and was intending to go to an event for this in November, but the new Ogre book finally saw off this hope. I still have some figures, and it is an interesting game, so hopefully this year I can look to doing this.
4) Get rid of the models I no longer use to finance my hobby - or start using them again! - PASS.
This was an easy one, as I don't make enough money to be able to spend a fortune on this hobby without selling stuff! Earlier in the year I offloaded all the random rubbish I had collected over the years - Ltd Edition stuff, parts of armies etc and last month I got rid of most of my 40K stuff too. I still have some things to sell, but the majority have gone.5) Become a Tyrant - PASS.
Plenty of time
enjoyably spent on this forum in the past 12 months has seen me reach this rather silly target!
3 out of 5 isn't bad, but I'll aim to do better!
So, on to this year's Resolutions...
1) Make a start on a new Fantasy army, and spend some time painting and/or converting the models. Start a Gnoblog to track my progress.
2) Improve my gaming - measured by at least 3 top half finishes in tournaments this year (2 of which have to be 60+ players)
3) Paint my Warmachine army, and go to an event for this system.
4) Update my Gnoblog more regularly with Tournament reports, within a week of the event.
5) Play more games outside of tournaments. This will include playing games at different points levels to the standard 2000-2500 points.
Some similar to last years, some with slightly higer or more specific aims. I have recently bought a load of new figures for the first one, but I'm trying to choose between two projects I want to start so this may take some time to get off the ground!