So. Snowed in, no work, only 14 half painted models and 4 new christmas ogres (a present rather than a rumoured new special troop choice) away from finishing painting my collection of ogres - numbering a mathematical pleasing 44 ogres in total - all plastic, all converted. Admittedly, by "conversion", I just mean changed a bit - I'm a basic greenstuffer at best, and many models just have hands glued at interesting (but plausible!) angles. Nonetheless, some of the more adventurous conversions I'm personally pleased with, though tame by some of the standards around here. But hey, it's about personal development, right?
So, it's nearly a week later, late on Sunday night, with the prospect of returning to work all too real, but I'm done! Some gnoblog then . . . Well, when I say I'm done, I mean I'm done so far. I'm all for adding to it, and thought this might encourage me - have a terrible habit of just stopping a project for several months and then coming back to it thinking "now, how did I do that skintone I wonder?"
For example, I would like to add some gorgers, but not happy with the standard models, would like to stick to plastic, and maybe do something a bit different with them - even giving another rationale. Will think about it - one possibility is taking a knife to the rat ogre models and see what happens (I know this has been mooted before - anyone get anywhere interesting with this?)
Anyway, the army. I have painted a lot of skaven in the past, and am sick of large regiments of small models, so I made a conscious decision not to use gnoblars (I know, I know, I NEED trappers, and what about screens, etc. - well, I prefer to lose with a theme, ok? ;p) Which gave me my first bit of fluff - I wanted a nomadic band of ogres, disposessed of their home territory, who only took as many gnoblars as they could carry (lookout, sword, etc.) Second, I really like the dirt-and-rust feel of some ogre tribes, so I decided to go with very muted colours, dirty banners etc. I found simple drybrushing gold on browns gave me a passable bronze effect, so went with that as the main metal scheme. All this was a while ago - this week has been largely trying to reproduce the colours on existing models!
Next, the pictures. I must confess I have never successfully taken pictures of figures in the past, so my first try was a bit scrappy - see Maneaters in the butcher's cauldron for my first bad attempt at flash photography. Anyway, did a bit of research, and have discovered a way to take photos without flash (and learned plenty about my camera in the process!). So, while latest attempts are not perfect, I think they give a better representation, so I thought I'd post some up. So here goes!
First, a couple of bulls - was really happy with the standard bearer here, might be my favourite standard in the army.
Next up, my slaughtermaster with a couple of Butchers:
My tyrant, and bull gut bruiser:
And finally some of the more converted leadbelchers, which I had a lot of fun with:
That's it for now - I have also finished the BSB and irongut conversions, and will post pictures of those soon. Here's hoping I stay snowed in tomorrow . . .